REALTORS® support our National, State and Local REALTOR® Associations’ legislative and legal defense activities. The difference it’s made is more than significant.
The Central GA Board of REALTORS® works to create positive change that supports the work of real estate professionals and the consumers they serve by seeking to:
- Promote home ownership
- Encourage investment in real estate
- Protect the right to own and use private property
- Enable members to transact business to the advantage and protection of the public and the members
- Promote and maintain high standards of conduct
What Is RPAC?
Your RPAC contribution is an investment, the best investment you’ll ever make in your business and yourself. RPAC is your insurance against poorly designed small business and commercial real estate legislation. If you’re not giving your fair share to RPAC, you’re not doing all you can to better your profession, your business, and yourself.
Your voluntary investment is used to improve your bottom line in several ways: Through issues mobilization, political advocacy, and by directly supporting candidates at the local, state, and federal levels of government who champion the ideals and principles of REALTORS®. RPAC is your investment in real estate!
On the national level, we give our money to those in Congress who both understand and support REALTOR® issues. RPAC is the only bipartisan political group in the country organized for REALTORS®, run by REALTORS®, and exists solely to further issues important to REALTORS®.
What’s In It For You?
RPAC provides you with the opportunity to have a collective impact on the election of officials who will shape legislation that affects your livelihood and the way real estate professionals do business!
Where Does Your RPAC Investment Go?
100% of your investment is used to elect pro-REALTOR® candidates: 70% remains in Georgia to be used in state and local elections. 30% is forwarded to National RPAC to fund key U.S. House and Senate races. RPAC is bipartisan, supporting candidates and issues regardless of party affiliation. That’s why we are the REALTOR® Party!
How Does Your RPAC Investment Pay Off?
Your RPAC investment pays off with every political victory:
- Getting legislation passed that enables you to participate in a short sale without a violation of banking/mortgage rules.
- Creation of state and federal tax credits for first-time and repeat homebuyers helped over 1.8 million people buy a home, increasing average REALTOR® commission income by more then $6,200.
- Raising the conforming mortgage loan limits for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac increased the earnings of the typical REALTOR® by $6,250.
- Preserving the Mortgage Interest Deduction in Congress protects annual commission income for the average REALTOR® of over $3,750.
- Preventing cities and counties in Georgia from charging individual agents a business license fee save you about $200 per jurisdiction in which you do business each year.
- Permanently prohibiting banking conglomerates from providing real estate brokerage and property management services saves the average REALTOR® $5,400 annually.
- Blocking a 6% state sales tax on real estate commissions saved the average member$2,100 every year.
- Lenders were slashing short sales commissions below the amount agreed to by the real estate broker and seller, but thanks to RPAC, Fannnie Mae are now banned from renegotiating commissions for short sales.
- RPAC saves the typical REALTOR® over $20,000 each year.
Can I Earmark Money to a Party or Particular Candidate?
No, under federal election law, the earmarking of contributions is illegal. However, you can make a contribution directly to a candidate.
Why Contribute to RPAC When I’ve Already Paid My Membership Dues?
Federal law prohibits the use of your dues dollars for political purposes. RPAC is funded entirely by the voluntary investments of REALTORS®.
No one is asking you for a donation or gift. That implies that you’re never going to see your money again. By fighting to protect property rights and keep the government out of your checkbook, RPAC becomes your best investment in your industry, your firm, and your career.
Is My RPAC Investment Tax Deductible?
No. Your investment is not tax deductible on your federal or state income tax returns.
Only members may contribute to RPAC. Contributions are not deductible for income tax purposes. Contributions to RPAC are voluntary and are used for politcal purposes. You may refuse to contribute without reprisal and the National Association of REALTORS®, the Georgia Association of REALTORS®, or the DeKalb Associoation of REALTORS® will not favor or disfavor any member because of the amount contributed. 70% of each contribution is used by GARPAC to support state and local candidates. Until GARPAC reaches it’s RPAC goal, 30% is sent to National RPAC to support federal candidates and is charged against your limits under 2 U.S.C. 441a; after GARPAC reaches its RPAC goal, it may elect to retain your entire contribution for use in supporting state and local candidates. Federal law prohibits the use of your dues dollars for political purposes. RPAC is funded entirely by the voluntary investments of members.